Saturday 16 January 2016

The Matte Lipstick Post

Hello and welcome to my Realm of Beauty. 

Today's post is going to be all about matte lipsticks.
I know in the past on my blog I have mentioned how I much prefer moisturising lipsticks to matte ones, but winter has made me want to try darker lipsticks whose colour pay offs are amazing. Moisturising and sheer lipsticks are known for not having much of a pigment or staying power. And I really like my dark berry and plum shades when it comes to winter time.

So I decided to experiment with combination of matte lipstick and lip balm or lip gloss (I will write a post on Clarins Instant Light Lip Perfecter soon). And I gotta say, I barely reach for my moisturising lipsticks anymore.

Of course Clinique Pop Lipsticks still remain my favourites. And they are both creamy and matte, which is just the best combination for me.
But I wanted to try more brands and different matte formulae.

Swatches from left to right: NARS Audacious Lipsticks - Audrey. Max Factor - Burnt Caramel. Maybelline Matte Lipstick - Devine Wine.

You may also have read that I am not a huge fan of nude lips. But after watching Lisa Eldridge's guide to nude lips, I decided to go for it and try one. So when I was at Boots I came across a gorgeous caramel shade at the Max Factor counter. The shade is called Burn Caramel, and it's a beautiful warm nude that compliments my slight olive complexion very well. What makes it even more wearable is the creamy texture of it, and the fact that it doesn't belong to a specific season. It's gorgeous all year round.
I am not a big fan of the packaging. The gold looks a little cheap and the material itself isn't impressive either. But who cares when the inside of it is so good, am I right?
Price is obviously affordable (£7.99), given that it's a Max Factor product.

Next lipstick to try on my list was slightly (!) more expensive. I had heard so much about the NARS Audacious Lipsticks that I knew I could not go wrong with it. So I visited the NARS counter at Selfridges and picked up a glorious dark pinky shade called Audrey. I have fallen in love with this shade every time I put it on. It is beyond beautiful. And the formula of the lipstick is to-die-for. It's slightly less creamy than the Max Factor one, but since I save it for special occasions it doesn't really bother me.
The packaging just screams luxury. It's all in black with the signature NARS writing on it in shiny black. As if that wasn't enough to entice you, the lid is magnetic!
The price is on the high end (duh! it's NARS) at £24. But I think it's totally worth it. I am definitely going to pick up a more day time shade soon.

Last on the list was definitely hard to get. It is Maybelline Matte Lipstick in Devine Wine. This shade is so popular that everytime I went to a Boots or Superdrugs they had sold out. I finally managed to get my hands on one though. Out of the three lipsticks this one is my least favourite. The pigment will blow your mind but it is too drying for my taste. The other two go on with a creamy texture and then stay on the lips. This one goes on dry and stays dry. Not even my Burt's Bees can tackle the dryness of it. It also leaves a stain on my lips that's just not flattering.
The packaging isn't that impressive either. But I guess you can't expect luxury packaging from a product that's priced at £6.99.

My final verdict is if you are looking for a good drugstore matte lipstick, pick up the Max Factor one over Maybelline. Unless you value colour payoff more than texture.
And if you want to splurge and treat yourself, the NARS Audacious lipstick is definitely the way to go.

I'll leave you with a picture of me wearing Max Factor Burnt Caramel and NARS Audrey :)


We have come to the end of the post now my lovelies. Thank you for reading my blog. If you enjoyed it make sure you follow me on social media, all the links are on the right hand side column.

See you soon x

No comments :

Post a Comment